Life on the Sub List

The musings of a Twenty-Something substitute teacher, written while baby sitting kids for teachers to lazy to make decent sub plans.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Idle hands spend time on the blog

And mine have been anything but idle. I’ve busy with two weekends and a week and a half of subbing. First it was a weekend of two movies Stranger than Fiction and Borat. Both great films the former maybe the best I’ve seen all year. Also that weekend we caught GE’s playoff struggle with St. X, the purple curtain could not contain the goyim enough to pull off a victory. The game was at Nippert, which allowed the usual expectations of Erin and I leading the band around, because it’s of course our old stomping grounds. In addition we hit up Pappadeaux, to celebrate the end of marching band and just to get out. Intern, using up our one nice meal per month really early in the month. The food was divine as usual but the pre-dinner experience was a mess, don’t call them “reservations” if when I get there I’ll be waiting for 30 minutes.

The following week I subbed nearly everyday in places with out computers (we’ll let that be the excuse for not writing). This allowed me to start a new novel and get pretty well into it enough to say that it lives up the hype. During last week I also got a little bit a lot a-bit fed up with Sears and there HR department and the run a round I had been getting with orientation and the like. So I started looking elsewhere the first and only app I filled out was to work the kitchen staff at one of Cincinnati’s best contribution to America’s restaurant landscape, Dewey’ s Pizza. I got the job and started yesterday, shaping up to be pretty cool.

Then last weekend we headed east for some hot dogs. Oh yeah, and my little cousin’s Bat Mitzvah. I guess Allyson and I are the same generation in the family but I expected the 11 years the separate our entry into the adult realm of Judaism to change the experience a little. Of course the theological end of it had not changed a bit. But I expected the party to be a little different than the 20+ I attended between the 1994 and 1996. Nothing was different, the typical fare, the corny ass DJ, with Oriental Trading prizes for games like Coke and Pepsi and a Hula-Hoop contest, and the awkward feeling of a party that must simultaneously entertain 13 year olds and 65 year olds. But it was worth the drive out there to see the family and such. Plus I got the watch the Bearcats knock down the Knights on garden state soil.

So now I turn to making Thanksgiving dinner. Prep tonight. Whole shebang tomorrow. Full blog version of that experience to come, complete with pictures. Wish me luck, in my first big entertaining undertaking. If all goes well I will be coming for you as my next victims.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The game took place in Bearcat territory...but we watched it from Garden State territory :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home