Life on the Sub List

The musings of a Twenty-Something substitute teacher, written while baby sitting kids for teachers to lazy to make decent sub plans.

Friday, September 08, 2006

whats in a name part 1

Erin and I where having this conversation a couple weeks ago about sport teams nicknames. I believe ours was specifically about baseball teams and more a game of me testing Erin’s knowledge of teams’ names. But it got me thinking about the origins of some of the names and how I appreciate the attempts made be original and appropriate in naming a team. So I figured I’d hash out my feelings here. I’m going to go through each of the four major sports and give each nickname a score on a 10 point scale based on its originality, and general impression and appropriateness. This will be a four part series. I will start with baseball.

AL East

New York Yankees - 6
- My beef with this one is in no way influenced by my hatred for the team. Its more the fact that when I think Yankee, I think New Englander not New Yorker. The root is of course and British pejorative, which actually scores it points for boldness. I think New York has so many potentials for nicknames that this almost a waste.
Baltimore Oriels - 8
- the first in a long line of bird names for me to review. The Oriel is the state bird of Maryland which gives it points for appropriateness. The bird has really stunning orange and black markings hence the teams colors. It loses some points casue I don’t really dig the bird name thing as you’ll see as we go on
Boston Red Sox – 1
- I have zero tolerance for uniform derived names. I understand the tradition involved but there are teams of the same age that did not do that. No excuses. The only saving grace is the shorten version, BoSox.
Toronto Blue Jays – 4
- this came from a “Name the Team” contest in the 70’s when the team was formed. My beef is by the time the Jays where formed there were already multiple birds in the league. According the Blue Jays website they had 4,000 suggestions I’m sure they could have came up with something better.
Tampa Bay Devil Rays – 6.5
The new generation of names is hit or miss. I think this is a near miss. Sting rays are native to region and there is a ferocity to the animal that makes it a good sports name. Plus they can have some nice crocodile hunter promotional tie-ins (to soon?)

AL Central

Minnesota Twins – 9
- I love this one. It takes the national identity of the region, every one knows it’s the Twin Cities and makes it into a name nearly flawless. My only issue if the lengthening of it to Twinkies.
Chicago White Sox – 0
- Same issue as the Red Sox with no cool abridged version
Detroit Tigers – 2
Why, Why, Why? There never has been and never will be tigers anywhere in Michigan. - - The two points are for not going with a uniform derived name
Kansas City Royals – 1
- I couldn’t find a real origin for this name which bothers me and it seems like it could be derived from uniform decisions. They were in an expansion class with the Mets and Astros so I expect better, as names are often a result of the time which they where chosen. The one point comes from keeping you guessing
Cleveland Indians – 6.5
- a pretty cool history the team was around for a little bit before they too the names which was given kind of organically by the fans due to a 1915 star player named Sockalexis, who happen to be a Native American whose skin was light enough to play in the white leagues. However, I do have big issues with the Chief Wahoo logo. But I’m only rating the names here.

AL West

LA Angles of Anaheim– 8
- Almost a no brainier. The city of angles must have team with this name. Only draw back is the ever changing nature of the local nomenclature
Seattle Mariners – 7
- Another thoughtful one with strong roots in the cities’ history. Drawback comes from its six syllable obstruction to sports discussions.
Oakland Athletics – 0.5
-Originally in Philly, then Kansas City. This name has no significance and no meaning. Duh they’re athletes but so are the other 29 teams. They had two opportunities to change names when the organization moved, completely unacceptable. The half point is for shortening it just save some embarrassment
Texas Rangers – 7.5
- I love the fact that this something that was already in our culture’s phraseology. And it keeps with the states rugged image. Has Chuck Norris ever thrown out to the first pitch? Probably not for fear he would break the catchers hand.

NL East

New York Mets – 8
- this complete unbiased, I swear. When the National league decide to give new York back a team the new ownership wanted to market the team to the entire region not just one borough as the pervious baseball situation allowed. They wanted to reach the entire METROPOLITIAN area. They took that and immediately shorten it the Mets. The loss of points is due to the fact that any metropolitan area could use that name and it would make sense. It also has some history a 19 centruy American Association team was called the Metropolitans
Atlanta Braves - 2
- I real convoluted history of names and cities from Boston to Milwaukee to Atlanta, form the Red Stockings, to the Beaneaters, to the Doves, to the Braves. All of those names where in Boston by 1912 they where the Braves and that was it. Which means the move afford name change opportunities not taken. I like bean eaters, should have stuck with it.
Florida Marlins – 6.5
- Same score as the Devil Rays cause it basically the same name. I have a place in my heartect for the native creature concept but it lacks orginality.
Washington Nationals – 9
I love this one. There used to be team in Washington named the Senators when they moved to Texas they became the Rangers (pay attentions Athletics and Braves they took advantage of the move.) So when Washington got the expos to move there they wanted bring back the name. Rangers Owenership wouldn’t give up the legal rights. So they had to think new and like what they came up with. It fits and it shortens well to Nats.
Philadelphia Phillies – 5
A very mediocre name. Nice for its shortening ability (Phils). But its kind of blan and of course repetitive. Has roots to the city but they are artificial roots. I’m not sure if a name has to be masculine to be good but this one certainly isn’t.

NL Central

Cincinnati Reds – 3
- again this name is week because of its roots in the uniform. Common misconception is that the original name was the red stockings. Not true the first name official name was the Reds. It became fashionable early on the call them the red stockings which stuck through the 19th century. Then briefly its was again shorten to Reds in the early 1900s but was quickly changed back to Red Stockings during the first red scare of the 20s. Only to be changed back to reds during the depression. I think that’s right but I’m sure some Cincinnatian will try and correct me. Either way the name leave a lot to be desired.
St. Louis Cardinals – 5
- The story goes that the St. Lois Browns where bought and renamed the Prefectors(awful name) were replaced along with their brown unis. The new uniforms had a red piping and when a newspaper reporter asked a female fan what she though of these uniforms She said it was lovely shade of cardinal the stuck. Actually a uniformed derived name I can live with because of the story.
Milwaukee Brewers – 10
They don’t get much better. With local pride and national understanding this one has it all. Plus even the lengthening of it, (Brew Crew) is cool.
Pittsburg Pirates – 7
- at first examinations the name makes no sense. They were originally the Alleghenies, which I love. They became known as the pirates after the stole a player away from the Philly A’s in the 1890s. It still loses point because you have to know that story in order for it to make sense.
Houston Astros – 9.5
Local connection, check. Originality, check. Cool abbreviation (‘stros), check. Lost half a point because its not there original name, which was the Colt 45s.
Chicago Cubs - 5
Can't adequatly score cause I can't find a real histroy of nameage here.

NL West

LA Dodgers – 5
- Here I’m torn. Because when the dodger where in Brooklyn in was a great name of all time. Named for the dodging of street cars fans had to get to Ebbets Field. But when they moved they should have changed the name because no dodging happens on LA freeways just a lot of sitting and Californians are ridiculously nice to pedestrians.
San Diego Padres – 7
- While the religious connotation does marginalize non-christians I love the fact that this name is not in English and gives a shout out the to Spanish Missionaries who found the city. I’m on the fence about its shorten version, Pads.
Colorado Rockies – 8.5
Like Texas Rangers, the phrase was already in our vernacular, which gives it points. It has got obvious local appeal. It losses points because it can’t be shorten effectively.
San Francisco Giants – 3
Originally named the Gothams during their early days in Manhattan. After winning a pennant the manager is quoted in the press as calling them Giants and the name stuck. I hat it Gothams would have been great. Now when they moved they could have changed but elected to keep the nonsensical name. Laziness
Arizona Diamondbacks – 6.5
Same feeling as the Marlins and Diamondbacks. I like the name and the local appeal but the animal things gets old quick.



Well that’s baseball, other three sports will come in time. If I have offended any one or gotten anyhting worng please comment.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great picture of W, looking as clueless ase ever

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger parsons said…

    any chance you can hire a copy editor or run that bastard through Word. Holy Christ Lanzy.

    As for your rankings ... hmm, let's just agree to disagree on a few. I think the Cardinals is FANtastic, the Tigers, while not being near actual Tigers, has the sharpest unis in sports, and thus gives them street cred.

    Also I like the blatant moniker of the "Athletics" ... we have too many Tigers, Bears, Lions, etc. crap so a throwback to an old school name like Athletics is sweet ... keeps the roots. Shit like Marlin and Devil Ray is just plain stupid. No complaints there. I just hate penalizing teams for going outside the typical animal names. So I like things like Red Sox, et al. because its atypical.

    Can't wait to see the other sports though. And I liked the research on the history of some teams.

     
  • At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, not being a huge sports fan, (and baseball? not so much) I do not disagree with the content. I enjoyed your evaluations (however random your scoring methods may be). However: I am BEGGING you to put the extra effort in to use correct grammar. "where" and "were" are not the same. Neither are "weak" and "week". Ditto for "there" and "their". (I can ignore some errors in a post as long as this, but let’s be honest: your site subtitle is crying out for corrections.) You are a teacher after all. Substitute or not.

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Royals name is an homage to the Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro League.

    The Rangers were originally the second incarnation of the Washington Senators, a short-lived expansion team. The original Washington Senators (immortalized in the musical Damn Yankees) moved to Minneapolis and became the Twins.

    And what about the Cubs?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home